Monday, July 30, 2012

that 4 letter word!

Got your attention didn't I? Well my, now not liked, 4 letter word is RENO(S). and I am not talking Reno Nevada!  Mine has to do with the many renovation projects we have going. We have been doing renovations on this house since 2006 for that is when the bathroom window leaked! Of course, my husband wasn't home at the time. The water was pouring down the bathroom wall and collecting in the ceiling of the kitchen. I phoned him a panic and he said I had to put a hole in the ceiling and put a bucket under it to collect the water. Oh, I put a hole in it alright. Got a screwdriver and went to town! Who knew I had that much frustration built up?!  When my husband got home, he sort of mentioned that maybe I went a bit too crazy with opening up the ceiling to let water out. That, my friends, was the start of our renovations. We replaced all the windows in the house, and while you are without windows, you may as well take down all the siding and put on more insulation. New basement windows required us to build up the frame a bit better and larger. THAT caused us to notice that the insulation under the window was soaking wet! Rip down the drywall in the basement to find that cause. While the walls were naked, we may as well build a bedroom down there!  Can you see this pattern that has emerged with us? It is never ending. We also decided to make our kitchen larger and rip out the already cracked tiles. The only way to make our kitchen larger, would be to take down the wall between the family room and kitchen. Our goes that window, out goes that large stone fireplace.  I am happy to say, the kitchen is done! Well almost. The small bits and pieces need to be done, like the floor trim. Our renovations have moved to our front deck! In order to do the windows in the living room, we needed to tear down the front deck. It was full of rotted wood anyway. Now, we are building a new one. I am at then end of my renovation, tattered rope about now. The sun is beating down on our little heads in the afternoon and  the snipping at each other is in full swing by 3pm!  When all is done, I am going to stomp my feet until I turn blue, demanding a nice beach vacation! Not too much to ask for the past 6 years of blood, sweat, tears and swearing!  Now off to the local hardware store for more bits and pieces for the deck. Yup..still smiling!!!

3 comments:

  1. You know you will move when it's all done.... come on, you do know that, don't you?!! LOL ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrg, that's what I am afraid of! Last time we did renovation on our house, we moved. I have told him I want at least 5 years in this house before we sell. I want to enjoy our new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By then he will have rebuilt it and built another in the garden... LOL

    ReplyDelete