Thursday, December 31, 2015

Danish Pastries time!

It is that time of year, when between Christmas and New Years eve, we wonder what to do. Clearly, by looking at the state of my house, cleaning is out of the question! If anyone mentions dust that might be lingering, then I simply tell them to "have at 'er" with the vacuum. My feeling won't be hurt to see someone else cleaning this place. I shall do that later. But, today folks, is our annual Danish Pastry day. It is a whole day project. I am not sure what other name there is for them, but they have been a tradition in our house for years. The recipe is from 1969!  Here is the finished product from last year.  Despite it being an all day project, we do have fun while doing them.  The first year we made them, we cut the rolled out pastry lengthwise, not width wise. They turned out huge and didn't quite make as many as I remembered as a child.  I phoned my mother and we talked about making them and she asked how many we made. I told her about 36. She said..and I quote  "WHAT??" . oh. Then I told her how we cut them. She said no wonder, we had cut them the wrong way. So, last year we cut them the correct way and got over 114!
    While we were making them last year, we decided to kill time by watching Sherlock series. It was fun. I am not saying that we smile the entire way through. Currently, out of three kids, one is hiding in his room mad at his sister. So, he vows never to come out again to help us twist and roll the pastries. Sigh.  My "Kids" are 21, 19 and 18!  Some things never change. ha ha
Even the dog gets into the act. She has a wonderful floured hand print on top of her head.
 I can just hear here say "every year they do the same thing...every, friggin, year". ha ha ha  This year, we are entertaining ourselves with a game on facebook called "trivia crack". Each time I get a history question wrong I think of two people. 1st being my old history teacher, of course and the 2nd would be my friend, Melanie. Man she loves her history and I wish I could channel her for these questions. Unfortunatley, it is a timed game, so there is no chance of me doing that.
 The final photo I am including..now that I have figured out how to add photos, is of the kiddies smiling while making them. This was also taken last year.
   I am glad we have carried on this tradition from my childhood. Hopefully, my kids will also carry on this when they marry  or can't make it home for Christmas. Another thing, is to freeze some right away because they don't last long. Our saying is "all day to make, 3 seconds to eat all! "  Later, eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment